2 Corinthians 1:12-2:4
February 16, 2020
Purpose: How can we respond when we don’t get along with another Christian?
- Biblical Understanding – Paul isn’t boasting in himself but in God’s faithfulness. See 2 Corinthians 10:17 “Let the one who boasts, boast in the Lord.”
- We see displayed in Paul’s use of the words, ‘simplicity’ and ‘sincerity.’
- Simplicity = Holiness, single-mindedness
- Sincerity = Judged by the sun’s heat, found pure
Explanation (1:13-17, 2:1-4)
- Paul explains why he changed his plans
God’s Faithfulness (1:18-22)
- Paul wants the Corinthians to see that God is absolutely faithful and trustworthy, even if they do not believe him personally.
- “For all the promises of God find their yes in him” Open page of 27 Statements
Six (6) Applications
- Search me, O Lord
- Listen before making a judgement
- Don’t read between the lines
- look to Jesus
- Gospel empowered reconciliation
- Motivated by love
- BEHOLD: Do we trust in the unwavering faithfulness of and the gospel?
- REFLECT: With love towards others, we humble ourselves and seek reconciliation
- MEMORIZE: 2 Corinthians 2:14-16