One Story, Three Responses
October 10, 2021
GOAL OF MARK’S GOSPEL
“The beginning of the gospel [good news] of Jesus Christ, the Son of God” Mark 1:1
- Mark 14:1 “It was now two days before the Passover and the Feast of Unleavened Bread.”
- The Story of God
- Creation – God created the heavens and the earth without sin and brokenness.
- Fall – Mankind rebelled against God and brought disharmony into the world. Man’s rebellion led God to separate the peoples of the earth into various ethnicities
- Redemption’s Root – through one man, Abraham, God promised to make a nation from whom would come a savior that would be a blessing to all ethnicities. This nation, Israel, was in the bondage of slavery by Egypt. Through a series of 10 plagues God freed Israel from bondage. The final plague only passed over the homes of those who trusted God’s provision of a substitutionary sacrifice – a lamb.
- Of Jesus, John the Baptist said, “Behold, the Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world.”
- This is the truth people were responding to in these verses.
RESPONSE OF DETERMINED HATRED
- Mark 14:1-2
- Public Life vs Private Life – Publicly religious and privately murderous intent
- Deadly Intentions
- Tangled Web of Power & Fear
RESPONSE OF SACRIFICIAL DEVOTION
- Mark 14:3
- Public Life vs Private Life – devoted to Jesus in both
- Costly, Sacrificial Love
- Harmony of Faith and Humility
RESPONSE OF HARDENED BETRAYAL
- Mark 14:10-11
- Public Life vs Private Life – outwardly a disciple of Jesus, inwardly his betrayer
- Followed Jesus to use him in pursuit of his own greed for wealth and power
- Web of Lies, Betrayal, and Death
QUESTION #1 | Does your public persona align with your private life?
- How do you want people to see and perceive you?
- Who are you backstage?
- How do we reconcile to two? Acknowledge the imposter. Bring the deeper longings to Jesus in surrender. Rest in the mercy of Jesus, the Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world.
QUESTION #2 | What does it look like for you to wake up spiritually?
- Why are you following Jesus? For personal gain or in self-sacrifice?
- Is Jesus enough?
- Rest in the mercies of Jesus