The Cup of Redemption
October 17, 2021
GOD HAS A PLAN
- Mark 14:12-16
- The disciples question is answered in the preparation of Jesus.
- In life, we face many uncertainties that can cause fear and anxiety but we can trust that God is in control and has a plan.
JUDAS IS CALLED OUT
- Mark 14:17-21
- Jesus was not a victim to his circumstances. Jesus intentionally and voluntarily laid down his life
THE BREAD AND THE CUP
- Mark 14:22-25
- Jesus was not just having any meal with his disciples, he was leading them through the Passover Meal that had a very specific order and elements associated with the meal.
- #1 The Cup of Sanctification – I am the Lord, and I will bring you out.” Exodus 6:6
- This would be followed by the washing of hands (Jesus changed this to washing the disciples feet).
- Then the disciples would eat the bitter herbs dipped in salt water, representing the bitter tears shed over the years of bondage.
- The Bread – There were normally three pieces of matzah bread – you would take the middle piece and break it., “This is the bread of misery which our fathers ate in the land of Egypt. All that are hungry, come and eat. All that are needy, come, keep the Passover.”
- #2 The Cup of Deliverance – “I will deliver you…” Exodus 6:6
- #3 The Cup of Redemption – “I will redeem you with an outstretched arm and great acts of judgement.” Exodus 6:6
- This is the cup, most likely, where Jesus changed the Passover meal forever by saying, “This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many.”
- #4 The Cup of Praise – “I will take you to be my people, and I will be your God…” Exodus 6:7
- It is likely that Jesus did not drink this cup, which was unusual, but rather said that we would not drink the cup again until his return. Jesus soon after said that he was preparing a place for us in heaven and would return, at which point, we will celebrate around the table once again – completing the Lord Supper.
Due to the abundance of historically information in today’s message, here is a copy of my full sermon notes.