The Judge on Trial
November 7, 2021
OUR KING & JUDGE
- Mark 14:61-62, Mark 15:1
- Daniel 7:13-14
PILATE’S POWER & PASSIVITY
- Mark 15:1-15
- Political Maneuvering – let the crowd choose to release Jesus but this backfires.
- Perception Without Conviction – Pilate perceived the agenda of of the religious leaders against Jesus but remained passive to act.
- Chose Peace and Approval Over Truth – Pilate wanted to satisfy the crowd more than he wanted to do the right thing.
- 1 Corinthians 1:23-24
THE MOCKING OF MAJESTY
- Mark 15:15-20
- The Scourging, beating, and mockery by a battalion (600 men) of Roman soldiers.
- False Understanding – would end on the the jealously of the religious leaders, the passivity of Pilate, the people turned into a mob.
- True Understanding – will end by focusing on Jesus. Why did he suffer to such a degree. Jesus was not a victim of these circumstances. He was a volunteer who chose to lay down his life to save many!
- John 10:14-18