Abiding in God’s Love
March 13, 2022
1 John 2:28-3:3
ABIDE IN GOD
- 1 John 2:28 “And now, little children, abide in him…”
- Question: Where are you planting your roots of identity and acceptance (belonging)?
- Things of the World (1 John 2:15-17)
- Deceptive Teachings of Anti-Christs (1 John 3:18-27)
- In God (1 John 2:23-3:3)
- When we abide in God, we will be confident when he returns.
CHILDREN OF GOD
- 1 John 3:1-2 “See what kind of love the Father has given to us, that we should be called children of God; and so we are… Beloved, we are God’s children now…”
- One commentary said, “John does not use the term “sons”; rather he uses here the word “children.” This is a term that describes origin, birth, relationship, family likeness, and family characteristics.”
- This truth transforms how we  See ourselves,  Treat other Christians, and  Handle rejection.
HOPE IN GOD
- 1 John 3:2-3 “Beloved, we are God’s children now, and what we will be has not yet appeared; but we know that when he appears we shall be like him, because we shall see him as he is. And everyone who thus hopes in him purifies himself as he is pure.”
- Jonathan Edwards, “Grace is glory begun, and glory is grace completed.”
- HOPE IN GOD – Look to God, and he will transform us. Don’t look to our own reflection in critic or praise but the one who made us and calls us his child.
- ABIDE IN GOD – Allow you roots to drink deep from the strength and life of God. Don’t strive in your own ability or the expectations of others.
- AS CHILDREN OF GOD – Rest in your place of belonging as a child of God. Don’t strive for belonging in the world who does not know our Heavenly Father.