Freedom From Sin
March 20, 2022
1 John 3:4-10
WHAT IS SIN?
- Phrases like: “practice of sinning,” “practices of lawlessness,” “keeps on sinning,” “works of the devil.”
- The problem of sin is more than just doing bad things but rather having a dead heart that is defiant of God from which our sinful actions originate.
- “PRACTICE OF SINNING” – (Hamartia) – literally means to miss the mark
- “SIN IS LAWLESSNESS” – (Anomia) “a defiant violation of God’s moral law”
WHY DID JESUS APPEAR?
- “TAKE AWAY OUR SINS…” – 1 John 3:5 “You know that he appeared in order to take away sins, and in him there is no sin.”
- “DESTROY THE WORKS OF THE DEVIL” – 1 John 3:8 “The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the works of the devil.”
- “The destruction was a loosening, as if these diabolical works were chains which bond us.” – John Stott
- Free from the PUNISHMENT of sin (Justification)
- Free from the POWER of sin (Sanctification)
- Free from the PRESENCE of sin (glorification)
WALK IN FREEDOM
- Galatians 5:1 “For freedom Christ has set us free; stand firm therefore, and do not submit again to a yoke of slavery.”
- Romans 6:6-8 “We know that our old self was crucified with him in order that the body of sin might be brought to nothing, so that we would no longer be enslaved to sin. For one who has died has been set free from sin. Now if we have died with Christ, we believe that we will also live with him.”