Return to Surrender
September 11, 2022
THE DIVINE CHASE
RUNNING FROM GOD (Jonah 1:1-3)
- God’s commands are clear and understood by Jonah
- Jonah directly disobeys by going in the opposite exact direction
GOD PURSUES JONAH’s OBEDIENCE (Jonah 1:4-17)
- God sends a life-threatening wind against Jonah’s fleeing boat. God is not punishing Jonah but rather pursuing Jonah’s obedience and heart.
- While the sailors cry out to their false Gods, Jonah is sound asleep in the bottom of the boat.
- Jonah would rather die by being thrown into the sea rather than obey God by turning back to preach in Nineveh.
GOD SAVES JONAH (Jonah 1:17)
- As Jonah is sinking to his watery death, God send a great fish to save Jonah. Again, the fish is not punishment but God’s loving pursuit of his children.
CAUGHT IN GRACE
REPENTANCE IS SIMPLE (Jonah 2:1)
- Sometimes we can make repentance seem harder than it is in reality – as though we have to go all the way back to the beginning for we can turn back to God. All God requires is turning back to him, however deep we find ourselves in rebellion – even from the belly of a fish.
CAUGHT IN GRACE (Jonah 2:2-10)
- Though running from God seemed like the best option, the reality of Jonah’s rebellion caused him to cry out for help and God was there to save.
- God is a God who pursues and saves rebels.
SURRENDERED TO GRACE
GOD OF SECOND CHANCES (Jonah 3:1-3)
- In a replay of Jonah 1:1-3, God speaks to Jonah and this time he obeys.
HEARTLESS OBEDIENCE (Jonah 3:4)
- In the original language of the Bible, Jonah’s sermon to the city of Nineveh is only 5 words.
- Though the entire city of Nineveh repents, Jonah is furious with God and this is when we find out that Jonah wanted mercy for himself but wanted judgement for Nineveh (Jonah 4:2-3)
GOD PURSUES JONAH’S HEART (Jonah 4:4-10)
- God pursues Jonah with a question yet Jonah sulks east of the city, hoping that God will destroy everyone and everything.
- God pursues Jonah’s heart with the plant and the worm – seeking to align Jonah’s heart with his own.
- Are you running from God?
- Are you following in heartless obedience?
- What does it look like to surrender to all of God’s grace in your life?