Seek First the Kingdom of God
SEEK FIRST THE KINGDOM OF GOD
God is the shepherd and gardener of our hearts
- Identifies Our Hearts (Matt. 5:1-16)
- Exposes Our Hearts (Matt. 5:17-48)
- Positions Our Hearts (Matt. 6:1-18)
- Produces in Our Hearts (Matt. 6:19-34)
In Whom or What Do You Treasure & Trust?
- A treasure on earth is fleeting
- Treasure in heaven is eternal
- You cannot trust and treasure both money (things of this earth) and God.
Anxious Heart vs. Faith-Filled Heart
- There is a difference between anxiousness (as talked about here) and anxiety disorders.
- Anxiousness is: situational/circumstantial, proportional, and passes in time.
- Anxiety is: unrelated to a situation, disproportional to an idea, and continues outside of your control.
- LOOK AT THE BIRDS
- God cares for the birds by feeding them thought they don’t work for it. You are more valuable than the birds and can trust God to take care of you.
- CONSIDER THE LILIES OF THE FIELD
- God clothes the grass which is seemingly unimportant and yet he clothes the grass with a splendor greater than Solomon. You are more valuable than the grass and can trust that God will take care of you.
- FAITH-FILLED & TROUBLE
- Jesus says we don’t need to be anxious for tomorrow but he also says that today has enough trouble of its own. Trusting God does not mean that we will never have want or live in prosperity. He simply tells us that he will care for us and we can trust him.
- Transformed Affections: Being honest with yourself, what or who is the treasure of your heart. What kind of things tend to distract you?
- Transformed Thinking: When you think about the future, what emotions are stirred in your heart. Are you fearful about provisions? How do you imagine God’s attitude toward you?
- Memorize Matthew 6:19-24 through the month of November.