The Gospel Unleased
THE GOSPEL UNLEASHED
LINK: Study Guide
Series Big Idea: The gospel will be proclaimed among all peoples through witnesses empowered by the Holy Spirit.
THE WEIGHT OF GOD’S LAW | Jesus + Circumcision ≠ Salvation
- Purpose of the Law was to expose our sinful hearts (Romans 3:20, Galatians 3:23-25)
- Peter describes the Law as a yoke the Jews were unable to bear so why place it on Gentiles
THE WEIGHT OF A NEW LAW | Jesus + Anything ≠ Salvation
- Jesus + Good Works
- Jesus + Baptism
- Jesus + Speaking in Tongues
- Jesus + _________________
FREEDOM IN CHRIST | Jesus + Nothing = Salvation
- The burden of sin is real
- Jesus says, ” Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light” (Matthew 11:28-30).
- Double Exchange: 1) Our sin is placed on Jesus and 2) Jesus’ perfection covers us (2 Corinthians 5:21)
COMMUNITY GROUP QUESTIONS
- Share about a time when you thought you received a great deal, only to later realize it wasn’t as great as you thought?
- How do you imagine the Gentiles in Antioch felt when they first heard people teaching them they had to be circumcised and keep the law of Moses in order to be saved?
- Why did God give his Law to the Jews? What was God’s purpose and how did some Jews misuse the Law?
- Have you attempted to please God by trying to keep a new law? Have you created rules for yourself and/or others that are not from God?
- What is the double-exchange Steve talked about regarding the Gospel and why is this so important to Christian faith and life?
- How is your heart regarding its ability to rest in Jesus? How can we specifically pray?