Song of Providence (Psalm 121)
September 20, 2020
BIG IDEA (Sermon in a Sentence)
In our need, we rest in the powerful arms of God, who guards us forever.
WE NEED HELP
“I lift my eyes…”
- Josh Moody, Journey to Joy
- The idea that you can always fix everything yourself has caused the breakdown of more marriages, the heartbreak of more people, and the disaster of more businesses than perhaps any other idea on the face of the planet. Pride might be the first casualty of failure, but pride is also failure’s common cause. “Pride goes before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall” (Prov. 16:18).But if it is important to admit that we all need help from time to time, then it is also very important that we go to the right place to find help.
WHERE DO YOU LOOK FOR HELP?
“Where does my help come from…?”
- (1) Mountain of Idols – Hope Misplaced
- (2) Mountain of God – Hope Secured
OUR GUARDIAN GOD
- My God, Powerful Guardian (1-2)
- My God, Watchful Guardian (3-4)
- My God, Protective Guardian (5-6)
- My God, Persevering Guardian (7-8)
- Where do you feel you need God’s help most right now? What are you thinking about as you read this song?
- Which of the statements in Psalm 121 encourage you the most?