Song of Perseverance (Psalm 129)
November 15, 2020
- Orlando is the 6th Most De-Churched City in America (Article)
- 66% of youth leave the church for at least a year between ages 18-22 (Article)
THE STRUGGLE IS REAL (129:1-2)
- The affliction, pain, and resistance that pushes against spiritual endurance is real.
- “Greatly have they afflicted me…” repeated
- TIME (Article)
THE EMOTIONS RUN DEEP (129:5-8)
- Painful emotions run deep and the heart can grow weary
- No Embarrassment – This is a real description of painful emotions
- No Excuses – truthfulness of emotions do not justify the resulting actions
- Apathy toward injustice is a greater risk to perseverance than anger
GOD IS FAITHFUL (129:2, 4)
- “They have not prevailed”
- Because… “The Lord is righteous”
GOD”S FAITHFULNESS FUELS OUR PERSEVERANCE
- “We survive in the way of faith not because we have extraordinary stamina but because God is righteous, because God is faithful to us. Christian discipleship is a process of paying more and more attention to God’s righteousness and less and less attention to our own; finding the meaning of our lives not by probing our moods and motives and morals but by believing in God’s will and purposes; making a map of the faithfulness of God, not charting the rise and fall of our enthusiasms. It is out of such a reality that we acquire perseverance.” Eugene Peterson
- Ephesians 2:1-10
- Map God’s Faithfulness in Your Life (Use the questions below to to help you rest in and rely on God’s faithfulness)
- Without God, where would your life be right now?
- Write Out & Tell the story of God saving you.
- What struggles, trials, and difficulties have you endured since trusting in Jesus?
- How did God cause you and enable you to persevere in the past?
- What struggles are you facing now? Struggles that feel overwhelming. Struggles that have your emotions in overdrive?
- Describe God’s character and faithfulness to you and others throughout history and let the testimony of his faithfulness fuel your perseverance through your present challenges