The End of Religion
January 31, 2021
Mark 2:18 – 3:6
FASTING – Celebrating the Bridegroom
- Mark 2:18 – 22
- The Day of Atonement (Yom Kippur) is the only time that fasting is commanded in the Old Testament (Leviticus 16:29-32). This was a day of fasting, somber repentance, and sacrifice.
- Jesus responds to the people’s question referencing a wedding celebration, most likely referring to the Messianic Prophecy in Isaiah 25:6-9.
- The 2 illustration are showing the Jesus is not just patching up the old religious system but he is doing something completely new.
SABBATH – Lord of the Sabbath
- Mark 2:23-28
- Sabbath means rest is two different ways – a physical and mental time off from labor and satisfaction and rest in the completed completed work.
- Religious leaders turned the sabbath into another means of work to prove ones worth before God.
- When Jesus said he was “Lord of the Sabbath” he was saying that he alone is our true rest, our true satisfaction.
HUMBLE HEARTS – End of Religion
- Mark 3:1-6
- 2 Choices
- Accept Jesus: Called by Jesus and given undeserved mercy, which we respond to with faith
- Reject Jesus: Walked away and seek to justify ourselves
FAITHFUL HANDS – Lifted in Praise
- Revelation 7:9-12