Fear & Faith
February 28, 2021
STORMS OF DOUBT
- Mark 4:35-41
- Physical Winds & Waves
- Disciples doubt that Jesus cares about them (4:38)
- Word of Peace – Jesus Rebukes the storm like a parent corrects a toddler
- Why are you afraid? – Jesus is not asking them why they are afraid of the storm. He is questioning their fear that Jesus doesn’t care about them.
- “Never doubt in the dark what God told you in the light.” V. Raymond Edman
- Mark 5:1-20
- Living in bondage & fear
- Evil has a name
- “All evil can be traced back to a single agent: Satan. War, sickness, disease, catastrophes, violence, lust, addictions, pestilence, waste, relational conflicts, selfishness—all sin and all that is wrong in the world is a particular expression of evil, the unending rebellion of Satan against God. The world continues to bear the scars of his mutiny.” Swindoll, Charles
- Authority of Jesus displayed. Some respond in rejection, while others respond in faith.
- Are you doubting God’s love and care for you in the midst of life’s storms
- Are you a slave to sin or free in Jesus?
- We are all born hopelessly enslaved to sin
- Jesus frees the captives through his life, death, and resurrection
- Jesus’ word is powerful
- His life is Perfection
- His death – a Payment of Debt
- His resurrection – Purchased Eternal Life
- His return – a secure Promise
- In freedom, walking by faith in obedience.