April 11, 2021
PERSISTENT, HUMBLE FAITH
- Mark 7:24-30, Matthew 15:21-28
- Jesus is silent and then seemingly rude to this Gentile woman who comes to him for help.
- She does not respond with pride but rather with persistent faith.
- Application #1 | How do you respond to God when he doesn’t do what you want?
- Pride can lead us to self-grandeur that presumes upon God or pride can lead us to self-condemnation that reduces faith to wishful thinking.
- A true persistent and humble faith says, “Yes Lord, I am who you say I am because you are who you say you are.”
- Application #2 | By what criteria do you make judgement about another person?
- Religious leaders looked to tradition. Disciples looked to ethnicity and gender. Jesus looks at the heart.
PRIVATE, PERSONAL HEALING
- Mark 7:31-36
- Though seemingly strange, Jesus’ interactions with the deaf and mute man are compassionate to the man’s need.
- Application #3 | Do you despise or celebrate the unique way God works in your life?
- God is the same always (Hebrews. 13:8)
- God works uniquely in all our lives.
- Application #4 | Do you speak with compassion and understanding?
- Jesus entered the deaf man’s immediate presence to communicate with him in a way that he could understand.