Jesus on Marriage & Divorce
May 16, 2021
- Mark 10:1-2
- At the time when Jesus spoke these words there was a cultural and religious happening around the topic of divorce.
- Our own culture minimizes marriage and a mentality that our personal self-fulfillment being more important than the covenant of marriage has seeped into the church.
- Application #1 | What is the basis of your theological and moral convictions?
- Mark 10:3-5
- Jesus responds to the question of divorce with a question, “What is commanded?” The religious leaders seem to understand the emphasis Jesus is making between what is commanded and what is allowed. God does not command divorce.
- Divorce exists because of sin. God hates divorce (Malachi 2:14-16).
- Application #2 | Are you minimizing God’s view of marriage for your own convenience?
- Mark 10:6-9
- 4 Principles in Jesus’ Response:
-  Marriage is part of the created order
- Marriage is between one biological male and one biological female.
- Marriage unifies two individuals in body and spirit
-  Marriage is an act of God, not man
- Application #3 | God’s Heart & Godly Wisdom
- God is gracious and merciful to those who are hurting and whose marriages have fallen short of God’s purposes (1 Tim. 1:15. John 3:16-18).
- Godly Wisdom from godly couples
- Application #4 | Marriage Resources
- Mark 10:10-12
- The disciples had more questions for Jesus concerning divorce and remarriage and his teaching and Jesus took time to answer their questions.
- In the same way, you may have questions concerning what the Bible has to say about your personal situation. These are important and we want to walk with you in discovering how God’s word speaks to your situation.