2 Corinthians 6:14-7:1
May 3, 2020
Title: Intimacy with God
- Knowing what you should do and being motivated to do them are two different things. We desperately need our heart’s affections transformed.
- The Apostle Paul uses 6 phases to describe what it means to betray our first love by being (1) unequally yoked, (2) partnered, (3) accord. (4) portion, (5) share, (6) agreement.
- The Christian should not be connected with lawlessness, darkness, satan, idols, etc
- “For we are the temple of the living God…”
- The word used for temple refers to the holy of holies – the innermost and most holy place in the temple.
- A closeness with God
- Paul strings together several Old Testament promises given to the nation of Israel and shows how they are fulfilled through the New Covenant community. (Leviticus 26:11-12, Exekiel 20:41; 37:27, 2 Samuel 7:14)
- “We have these promises”
- We rest/ sit/ position our lives on the promises of God that declare us holy before God and removes the penalty of sin from our lives.
- “Let us cleanses ourselves from every defilement…”
- We walk/ run/ crawl by the power of the Holy Spirit and he frees us from the power of sin in our lives.
- “Bringing holiness to completion in the fear of the Lord.”
- We stand completed on the promise that God who began a good work in us will bring it to completion as the presence of sin is removed from our lives forever.