Song of Community (Psalm 133)
December 13, 2020
WE ARE FAMILY (133:1)
- Christians are adopted into a family
- It is not a question of if you are going to be part of a faith community, but rather, how are you going to live in this community of faith?
WE HAVE CONFLICT (133:1)
- Conflict is not the problem. Our response to conflict is what is important.
- 2 Harmful ways to Undermine Unity: (1) Isolation, and (2) Idealization.
- “Every human wish that is injected into the Christian community is a hindrance to genuine community and must be banished if genuine community is to survive. He who loves his dream of community more than the Christian community itself becomes a destroyer of community, even though his personal intentions may be ever so honest and earnest and sacrificial.” ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer
FRUIT OF UNITY (133:2-3)
- Priesthood of All Believers (Oil on Aaron’s Beard)
- “ But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light.” 1 Peter 2:9
- Expectancy of Hope (Dew on Mount Hermon)
- “When we are in a community with those Christ loves and redeems, we are constantly finding out new things about them. They are new persons each morning, endless in their possibilities. We explore the fascinating depths of their friendship, share the secrets of their quest. It is impossible to be bored in such a community, impossible to feel alienated among such people.” Eugene Peterson