NON-RETALIATION & OATHS
Matthew 5:38 – 48
- We are in need of a heart trnsformation, not merely religious behavior conformity.
- Example from The Dawn Treader by CS Lewis
- “Any eye for an eye…” – a legal term meant for civil court, not personal application, to ensure the punishment fit the crime.
- “Do not resist the one who was evil” – talking about personal vendettas, not civil authority (Romans 13). Talking about being attacked because we follow Jesus (Matthew 5:11).
- Four Examples: Backhanded slap, legal action, forced labor, borrowing
Love & Prayer for Them
- The Old Testament never says we should hate our enemies. This was an assumption by Jews in misunderstanding the command to “love your neighbor.”
- Comparing and contrasting God and us:
- He make the sun rise… sends rain. on the evil and the good.
- You have limited love – love those who love you…greet only your brothers….
- You therefore, must be perfect as your father in heaven is perfect.
- External Modification vs Internal Transformations. Why is it so much easier to focus on the outside of our lives (obedience, rules, appearance) rather than the internal transformation that is needed?
- How is God transforming your thinking to be shapped by his teaching surround an attitude of non-retaliation and loving your enemies?