This week’s sermon notes can be found here (http://bible.com/events/492630) on the Bible app or below:
Biblical community is rooted in the gospel and is experienced through authentic transformation but it is endangered by faking it.
1. Community is Established by The Gospel
- “Full number of those who believed were of one heart and soul…”
- We don’t created unity – God establishes it and we are called to maintain the unity (Eph. 4:3)
2. Community is Experienced through Authentic Generosity
- * Barnabas is an example as he sold his land and gave all the money to the apostles for the good of the community.
- How has God blessed you?
- What does it look like for you and/or your family to be a blessing to others?
3. Community is Endangered by Pretending Spirituality
* The sin of Ananias and Sapphira is they lied by pretending to be more spiritual than reality.
* Pretending is our attempt to minimize sin by thinking we are more righteous than reality.
Two Way We Pretend
1. We compare ourselves to others
2. We focus on our external behaviors to impress others
1. How are you pretending?
– How are you trying to control people perception of you?
– Have you come to the realization that God already fully knows the true you and has chosen to love you?
2. How have you been blessed?
– How has God blessed you to be a blessing
– Name 2 or 3 areas that God has blessed you
– pray about who you can bless this coming week
Additional Community Group Questions:
1. What is the difference between Christian unity and other forms of unity?
2. In what ways have you seen others practice generosity and what was the impact of such giving?
3. What causes people to hold back from generous generosity (financially and with their time and skills)?
4. How is the concept of grace connected to generosity?
5. In what areas do you tend to project yourself as better than the reality you feel inside?
6. How are you responding to the action steps from this week’s message?
– How are you pretending? (have you given this thought, not that you need to share everything)
– How have you been blessed and who can you bless this week?